SUDBURY YACHT CLUB
2017 COME SAIL WITH US (CSU) Mentor Program
Revised Jan 25, 2017
- Develop and hone sailing skills.
- Promote sailing in a safe and responsible manner.
- Promote seamanship, sportsmanship and friendship.
- Introduce sailing in an affordable way (purchase of a boat is not required).
- Promote SYC adult sailing school.
- Provide a valuable experience if you are considering boat ownership in the future.
- Attract new members to Sudbury Yacht Club.
Come Sail with Us Program
- The program is a hands on sailing experience, mentored by volunteer club members experienced in sailing.
- CSU Members enter the program as crew and progress to Skipper when they show proficiency with the defined skills. Dependent on experience completion may require one or two seasons. Upon completion of the program member should be comfortable with and able to efficiently sail and handle a keel boat.
- Upon joining the CSU program, entrants will be welcomed to attend some of our social gatherings and potluck suppers offered by SYC throughout the season. There may also be opportunity to crew for club members when cruising or racing.
- CSU membership limited to two season. Further participation in SYC requires club membership.
- SYC Membership required to store or moor boats.
- SYC Members may at a nominal fee join CSU program if interested in further developing skills.
- CSU Members sail once a week with up to 2 other members and a SYC mentor.
- CSU program runs at defined times, as arranged through scheduler so mentors and members can plan their participation. You would sign up for one of the three available time slots or if acceptable to mentor and scheduler to a flex time, which may also depend on boat availability.
Optional 2 hr time slots commence at: 6:30 PM Mondays or 6:30 PM Wednesdays
- CSU Members are required to complete 16 hrs of maintenance work a year in and about the club, docks, and boat. IE: Clean and prep boat for season, aid in haul in, mast raising, dry rig and decommissioning at end of season. This is an important learning aspect of boat ownership.
Basic Mentored Skills
- Sailing Safety
- Sail and Boat Terminology
- Manoeuvring under Power and Sail
- Sail Trim
- Docking & Anchoring
- Buoys & Aids to Navigation
- Right of Way or Rules of the Road
- Boat Care & Maintenance
- Types of Boats, Keel & Dinghies
- Advice on What to look for when Buying
- Pleasure Craft Operator Card
- Completed application form.
- One FREE cruise, as crew, allowing you to experience sailing and explore the CSU program.
- 2017 Season CSU membership (SYC Associate Membership) is $292 + HST
- Spouses may also join CSU for an additional $50.00 + HST
- SYC full members if they wish, may join CSU program at a cost of $100
- All CSU members are required to volunteer at least 16 hrs on boats or at club.
- Note Option: Basic Sailing Instruction is available via SYC Sailing School
- 2016 or 2017 Adult Sailing School Course is $255 + HST see SYC website.
Upon completion of Adult Sailing School Course you become eligible to
enter CSU program, at a cost of $100.
For More Information and to Submit Application Contact
- The Facilitator – Rear Commodore Pierre Dignard – email@example.com
- The Scheduler – Vice Commodore Brian Martin – firstname.lastname@example.org