Come Sail with Us
The program is a hands on sailing experience, mentored by volunteer SYC senior members experienced in sailing. The goal is to allow you to learn more about sailing and boat ownership.
The following doohickey may at first seem incomprehensible, but when you complete the CSU course the Mainsheet tackle will make sense and become a thing of beauty.
CSU Members enter the program as crew and progress to Skipper when they show proficiency with the required skills. Dependent on experience completion may require one or two seasons. Upon completion of the program the CSU member should be comfortable with and able to efficiently sail and handle a keel boat.
Upon joining the CSU program, entrants will be welcomed to attend some of our social gatherings and potluck suppers offered by SYC throughout the season. There may also be opportunity to crew for club members when cruising or racing.
CSU program runs at defined times, as arranged through our scheduler so that mentors and CSU members can plan their participation. You would sign up for one of the three available seasonal time slots or if acceptable to mentor and scheduler to a flex time, which may also depend on boat availability.
CSU Members sail once a week with up to 2 other members and a SYC mentor.
Optional 2 hr time slots begin at:
- 6:30 PM, Mondays, Tuesdays or Wednesdays
CSU Members are required to complete 16 hrs of maintenance work a year in and about the club, docks, and boat. IE: Clean and prep boat for season, aid in haul in, mast raising, dry rig and decommissioning at end of season. This is an important learning aspect of boat ownership.
- Develop and hone sailing skills.
- Promote sailing in a safe and responsible manner.
- Promote seamanship, sportsmanship and friendship.
- Introduce sailing in an affordable way (purchase of a boat is not required).
- Promote SYC adult sailing school.
- Provide a valuable experience if you are considering boat ownership in the future.
- Attract new members to Sudbury Yacht Club.
Basic Mentored Skills covering:
- Sailing Safety
- Sail and Boat Terminology
- Manoeuvring under Power and Sail
- Sail Trim
- Docking & Anchoring
- Buoys & Aids to Navigation
- Right of Way or Rules of the Road
- Boat Care & Maintenance
- Types of Boats, Keel & Dinghies
- Advice on “What to look for when buying your boat”
- Pleasure Craft Operator Card. Pleasure Craft Operator Card online
- SYC Membership required to store or moor your own boat(s) while taking the CSU program.
SYC Members may at a nominal fee join CSU program if interested in further developing skills.
CSU membership limited to two season. Further participation in SYC requires club membership.
One FREE cruise, as crew, allowing you to experience sailing and explore the CSU program.