The Sudbury Yacht Club’ Sailing School offers hand's on sailing lessons for both youth and adults. Programs meet the CANSAIL national teaching standards. Learning to sail at the Sudbury Yacht Club prepares you to sail anywhere in the world.
Adults have time constraints and the Sailing School can catter to those needs by delivering the CANSAIL programs during evenings or over a two week ends.
Adults also learn differently, the SYC experienced team of trainers can answer all your questions.
We consider adults to be 16+ (12+ if accompanied by another 18+ aged adult taking the same course).
2020 Adult Course Schedule
Adult classes cost $290
We request that you be on the SYC property (parking is available at no cost) 10 minutes prior to the start of courses.
Option 1: 6 week nights
Lessons are given Monday, Wednesday and Fridays from 18:00 to 20:30. Each session runs for two consecutive weeks.
|june 20 - july 10||register for session A1|
|july 13 - july 24||register for session A2|
|july 27 - august 7||register for session A3|
|august 10 - august 21||register for session A4|
Option 2 - Weekends
Lessons are given Saturday and Sunday from 9:00 to 16:30.
|July 4 and 5||register for session W1|
|July 11 and 12||register for session W2|
|July 18 and 19||register for session W3|
|July 25 and 26||register for session W4|
|August 1 and 2||register for session W5|
|August 8 and 9||register for session W6|
|August 15 and 16||register for session W7|
|August 22 and 23||register for session W8|
If you cannot make it to your lesson or require rescheduling - please email your instructor as soon as possible.
More information is provided in this handy Adults’ guide to Sailing lessons
We ask that you review this information and sign the release forms included in the document prior to your first course.
The SYC Sailing School is a member and promotes the values of True Sport
- RESPECT of others, procedures, rules and our equipment; be a good sport!
- SAFETY in all what we do;
- TEAM WORK because it is a lot more fun!
- INCLUSIVENESS because each person has unique abilities, and everyone can learn.
- To be SAFE
- To have FUN
- To develop SKILLS
Safety comes first when on the water which is why all Sailing School instructors are CANSAIL certified.
The instructors will also, once you've completed a course, register you in the CANSAIL national database. This will allow you to demonstrate your sailing certification at any other participating Sailing School/Club.
- Students must know how to swim and be comfortable in the water;
- Students must have a Ministry of Transportation or Canadian Coast Guard approved Personal Flotation Device (PDF)/life jacket that fits properly;
- Students should bring to class every day appropriate: swim-wear, towels, waterproof sunscreen, hat, sunglasses and closed-toed shoes that can get wet;
- A refillable water bottle;
- A long sleeve shirt (synthetic) is recommended to protect from the sun;
- Have at least one complete change of dry clothes;
- Dress for the forecasted weather (but try to avoid anything cotton): jacket, rainwear, windproof jacket;
- Students are required to bring their own peanut free lunches; Food is not available on the property.